Saturday 24 August 2013

My MAC palette!

If you've been following this blog for a while now you may know that I am addicted to YouTube and have been watching the beauty community for a long time now. One thing I really wanted to do when first getting into make up was start a MAC eye shadow palette, I would watch people such as FleurDeForce and my favourite Tanya Burr AKA Pixi2woo use their MAC eyeshadows in videos and give them such good reviews, my most-searched videos on YouTube are 'My MAC Palette' videos and now finally after all this time I have completed one!

I get a lot of people asking me what colours I have and which ones I like and would recommend so I'm writing this post to show what colours I have and why I love them! All of these colours are good for brown eyes and the look I go for which is usually quite a full, smoky look, with more neutral colours for the day and darker ones for night.

Sorry in advance for the bad photo's it was difficult to get a picture to reflect the true colours of the shadows!


Here is a picture of the palette itself filled with my eye shadows, at MAC you buy the empty palette case which is £14 and you can either buy a 15 eye shadow or 6 blush insert to go inside which are both £6.50. The eyeshadows in pan form are £10 or if you didn't want to buy a palette you can buy them in pots but they are more pricey at £12 each.


It's taken me a long time to build and set out my palette but I'm finally happy with the way it is, I have 3 rows of 5, the top is my pinks and golds that I use on my lid, the middle is my purples and taupes which are for my crease and the bottom is my multi-use browns and highlight.


I've numbered each one so when I show you the colour swatches you can match them up to see how they look in pan form.

Ok so here are the first 5 colours, this is the pink and gold row along the top.


1 is the much talked about Naked Lunch which is my most used and probably favourite colour in the whole palette, it's a beautiful shimmery soft pink/nude colour perfect to go all over the lid and can be matched with pretty much all my crease colours hence why I've hit pan on it, whatever eye shadow mood I'm in it almost always fits the bill. It's also good for all eye colours which is one of the reasons it's so popular.

2 is All That Glitters another YouTube famous one, it's a bit darker and more pink than Naked Lunch but otherwise very similar. It also has flecks of gold running through it. I love it!

3 is Honey Lust, I saw it in one of the MAC stores and had to have it. It's the perfect mix between gold and pink and is VERY glittery, perfect for those days when you just can't choose a colour!

4 is one of the first ones I bought and it's expensive pink. This is such a complimentary colour to brown eyes. I'm upset it's looking more gold in the picture but it's true to it's name it just looks so expensive! It's a dark pink colour with gold glitter, I don't wear this a lot because I like to keep it for special occasions because I love it so much.

5 is the last along the top row and it's Pink Venus, I couldn't have an eye shadow palette without a sparkly barbie pink now could I? It's just a soft shimmery pink that can look quite nice with a matte crease colour, I don't wear it often but fell in love with it and couldn't not buy it!

Next up is my favourite row it's the purples and taupes, my favourite colours to wear and those that I think compliment my eye/hair colour and skin tone the best. Apologies for the number ordering I don't know why I decided to put the number 9 on my arm before the number 8!


6 is a VERY popular colour that is also one of my first bought and most worn, it goes the best with Naked Lunch so I wear this combination A LOT. It's Satin Taupe and if you are just starting a MAC palette or are looking to buy new colours I highly recommend this one. It's a gorgeous dark taupe that can be blended for a soft smoky day time look or built to create a stunning dark evening look.

7 is shale and is a deep purple with a slight bit of shimmer to it, only really a night time colour but can be a gorgeous purple smoky eye, one of my favourite looks. A staple in my collection. I personally think this type of colour would only suit people with brown eyes.

9 is Quarry which is another of my favourites and most used in the palette I wear this with Naked Lunch when I want a bit more of a neutral look compared to the satin taupe combo. It's a really pretty Matte purple, I originally saw this online and had to hunt it down in the shop because I needed it so much, will definitely repurchase when I run out, it's already got a huge dip in the middle!

8 is Haux and is very similar to Quarry but it's more pink toned. Still matte but I wear this when I'm in more of a pink mood! Becuase a lot of my lid colours are pink and gold this one goes with more of them compared to Quarry and is good as a daytime crease colour so it's great to have if you like a shimmery lid but with a matte crease. Pink is also a more versatile colour so people with different eye colours can wear it.

10 is sable, this was the second MAC eyeshadow I ever bought because I saw Tanya Burr review it and just had to have it, again it's one of my favourites and most worn, it has the same effect as satin taupe but this is more of a cranberry colour, it's shimmery too but not glittery. I believe it's a 'Veluxe Pearl' finish which is my favourite one. Sable is to Satin Taupe like Haux is to Quarry but 2 are matte and 2 are shimmer. 

Finally is my bottom row and it's my browns and highlight colours. In the future I would like to fill up a whole palette just with browns but for now I have to settle for just one row!


11 is Mulch and I accidentally have 2 of these because I apparently love it so much! The other is in a duo palette which I use quite often. This is a very versatile colour, if you haven't guessed by now I LOVE SHIMMER. And this is the nicest brown with shimmer colour I've found yet. Use a little bit and it's a soft day time look and build it up (paired with no.12) to create my ultimate favourite night time look. It's gorgeous. It's a very warm colour so cool-tone lovers I wouldn't recommend this for you!

12 is Woodwinked. I usually buy the colours in 2's and this was one of the last 2 I bought and I do not regret it, it's a beautiful colour, a perfect blend between brown and gold, can be used in the crease for a really warm smoky eye or packed onto the lid for an intense brown smoky eye, I prefer to do the latter however I can't do this during the day without looking a bit crazy and this upsets me! Highly recommend this colour for brown eyed people it compliments them beautifully. Can't rave about this enough seriously just go swatch it in the shop and you will understand!

13 is a pretty boring colour but an essential in any neutral palette. It's Charcoal Brown and is just a medium/dark matte brown, good for eyebrows if you have dark hair (bit too dark for me) or perfect for a daytime crease colour paired with a nice shimmery lid colour! 

14 is yet another boring but essential, it's Omega and the colour I use for my brows. I don't have blonde brows obviously but they're not super dark either so I find this looks so natural just brushed through to make them look less sparse. I also use this in my crease for minimal colour but a bit of definition, on those days where I don't feel like wearing much but still want to put it on (beauty girl problems!) this is a good colour for anyone with fair hair or fair skin and with any eye colour.

Finally 15 is Shroom and it's the only highlight colour I managed to squeeze in and was the very last eye shadow I chose for the palette. I have other more natural highlights from different brands so wanted quite a bright shimmery one, I mainly wear this on a night out or with a matte crease during the day, otherwise it's just too much shimmer! It's a frost finish so the colour/shimmer payoff is amazing. I love this colour it's so pretty and really does it's job well!


I hope my mini-review of my MAC palette colours has been interesting or helpful to you, I personally am so nosy when it comes to seeing other peoples palettes! If you'd like to know any more about each of the colours then just ask either in the comments or on twitter or instagram both @bethanvickery and if you have a video or post about your MAC palette please send me the link!

I just want to say thank you for reading as my blog is almost at 10,000 page views and that just seems crazy to me so THANK YOU!!

Bethan :)





1 comment:

  1. Nice eyeshadows! I love MAC eyeshadows, they're just amazing :)

    www.thelindsaylike.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete