Thursday 3 April 2014

Review: The Naked 3 Palette!

I've been wanting to do a review of this palette for a while now, I got it just over 2 months ago for my birthday and have seriously been in love with it ever since. It was at the very top of my birthday list so I was so excited to receive it. I anticipated it was going to be good because I have the Naked 1 and Naked Basics and the quality of the shadows are amazing, plus I've heard good reviews about it. I didn't anticipate however just how much I'd fall in love with it. It's been my go-to palette for the past 2 months. There's not one colour in this palette which I haven't or won't wear  regularly they're all so beautiful.

 Ok, I will start off with the packaging, I think with each Naked Palette the packaging has got better both practically and aesthetically. I loved the faux suede and gold lettering of the Naked 1 palette however it hasn't stood the test of time very well, the gold has all rubbed away, the suede looks worn and the mirror inside broke when it was in a make up bag because the structure isn't very solid. The Naked 2 was better (I don't own this one unfortunately) and I loved the colour of the tin to match the taupe-y scheme inside.
This one is also in a tin so the insides are protected much better, it has a much bigger mirror than the first palette which is also so handy for travelling and I love the texture and lettering on the top, it's a perfect representation of what's inside.

The palette also comes with this double ended brush, one side is a flat shadow brush (right) and the other end is a tapered blending brush (left). The flat shader brush has tight bristles and I've found it's absolutely perfect for applying shadow as liner, the two darkest colours in this palette are also the best complimentary eye-liner colours for any of the shadows and I've found myself ditching eye liner all together most of the time. The tip of the brush is thicker than the typical eyeliner brush which gives a much smokier look that's not so precise, therefore harder to get wrong! The blending side of the brush is good for application into the crease however I do find because the shadows are so pigmented a fluffier brush is needed for extra blending to get rid of some of the harsh lines, this brush isn't soft enough to do that. But you can't complain with a free brush and super-pigmented shadows!



 If you have never tried the Urban Decay eye shadows then you are seriously missing out. UD was one of the first brands that really took my fancy when I first got into make up all those years ago and having the Naked 1 palette for my 17th birthday (3 whole years ago!) made me crave more. I've hit pan and completely used up several of the shadows in that palette. The quality of this palette is true to UD standards and they are the most beautifully pigmented eyeshadows. They rival, if not are better than, MAC eyeshadows and if you've been reading my blog for a while you'll know I'm a huge fan of MAC shadows. This is my favourite palette that I haven't created myself. I prefer it to the Naked 1 by far, the colours are right up my street!

 So the colours in this palette are all warm rosy tones with a few taupes at the end. As a young teen I loved wearing sparkly pink shadows and I never really grew out of it, I have at least 5 in my MAC palette so I knew right away I was going to love this. This palette has 3 matte shades, 4, what I'd call, 'Frost' shades and 5 shimmery ones. I wouldn't recommend this if you aren't big on shimmer/glitter shades. UD are also known for coming up with such good names for their shadows.
 From Left to right (same order as in the palette)
STRANGE - A matte highlight shade in a soft baby pink, compliments all of the colours in this palette. DUST - Looks like fairy dust, it's one of the hyper-pigmented frost shades with big flecks of glitter running right through it, so brightening and pretty! I always wear this one if I need a pick-me-up.
BURNOUT - A slightly more wearable 'Dust', less glitter and a warmer pink tone, this is my most used base colour I wear this ALL the time it's so beautiful and the sun catches the shimmer as you move, what's not to love?
LIMIT- A very versatile matte colour, perfect as a smoky crease for a subtle day time look or as a base paired with one of the darker shimmery colours. One of those colours that doesn't really stand out but the palette would be incomplete without it.
BUZZ - Basically a shimmery, frost version of 'Limit', it's one of the more purpley shades, this is a beautiful base for a more bolder look or perfect in the crease for a bright-eyed shimmery look. Looks lovely with Strange blended in to the brow bone.
TRICK - If there's one shadow out of place in the palette it's this one. It doesn't really fit, because it's a true rose-gold it doesn't really blend nicely with any of the rosy pinks or purply shades. Still a beautiful colour but to use this you have to have other shadows on hand, I usually wear this on the lid with a smoky brown crease. This is another really frosty shadow that really glistens. 
NOONER - The last matte shade in the palette, another of my most worn, I wear this in my crease on the daily. It's perfect for having a bit of shimmer on the lid but when you don't want to overload it in the crease too. I have a very similar colour to this in my MAC palette but I think this one is more pigmented. 
LIAR - I love this one, I don't think the picture below does it much justice, this in the crease gives so much depth and a beautiful shimmery smoky look. 
FACTORY - Factory is a darker version of Liar, very shimmery, perfect for a night out, not something I'd wear during the day, still so beautiful, usually one I reach for in an evening.
MUGSHOT - This is where the palette starts moving towards the taupe shades, at first glance this is a cooler shade, I feel you couldn't pair this with Dust or Burnout, but once on it's SO pretty, it's perfect paired with one of the matte shades, all attention needs to be on this, with another shimmery colour it would be too much.
DARKSIDE - One of my most used colours but in an unconventional way, this is the PERFECT eyeshadow colour, as I said earlier about the brush being perfect, this is the colour I use. It's just so handy going to stay at someones house and only having to take this instead of numerous eyeshadows and eyeliners. This shadow is only slightly shimmery and would look nice in the crease but only on a night out, it's a bit dark for my usual look.
BLACKHEART - the 4th shadow with huge flecks of glitter, it's a midnight purple with pink and silver glitter. I am NOT brave enough to wear this on my eyes but it's good for when I need a darker eyeshadow, it's so pigmented, I am in love with it but too scared to actually wear it!



So there we have it, a very long review of my absolute favourite eyeshadow palette, and it takes a lot for me to say that because we all know how much eyeshadow I own - too much!
If you like the sound of this palette then I highly recommend you just go grab one, it's perfect in so many ways and at £37 an absolute snippet of the price of say a MAC or Nars palette. 

Bethan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment