Wednesday 18 July 2012

Nail Varnish Review: Max Factor Mini's

I've been wanting to do this post for a while as I have a growing collection of Max Factor's Mini nail varnishes and wanted to tell everyone what I think of them! I have a total of 11 now and it's really mixed reviews, some of them have amazing colours but the consistency isn't great and others are a bit boring but only need one or two coats, I don't really see how one brand can range so much but that's why I wanted to do this post, to show you what's hot and what's not! Below is a picture of the ones I own :)


I usually stick to dark nail varnishes but as the trends have been changing recently I thought'd I'd go for a couple of pastel colours too! You will see when I look into each one in more detail that I stick to golds, pinks and blues for my nails, it's a coincidence but it made me realise that I don't really venture out much further than that!


Here are the first three, the top one is called 'Soft Toffee' and is a plain nude colour, it's pretty simple and I don't wear it much but it's a good colour to wear when you can't decide what mood you're in! This needs about 2 coats.

The middle is called 'Diva' and is one of my favourite colours out of the ones I have, I love shimmery colours and that's usually what I pick when buying nail varnishes but one of the let downs with this and the rest of the Max Factor Mini's is that they need 3 coats at least to look like the picture shown to the left. It makes me wonder how long they're actually going to last!

The bottom one is called 'Red Bronze' and is a beautiful copper colour, again I love this one as it's so shimmery and goes with a lot of different things. This needs 3 coats also.

Here are the more pinky tones out of the ones I have, I do own and wear a lot of pink nail varnish! The top is called 'Diva Pink' and is a really bright barbie pink, I rarely wear this one unless I'm going out as it is really sparkly and jazzy and a bit too much for every day wear!

The middle one is probably one of if not my favourite Max Factor nail varnish I own, it's called 'Hot Pink' and besides being a gorgeous bright summery pink it has a lilac irridescence that shines in the light and looks so pretty, it's really eyecatching and only needs 2 coats which is a bonus! I wear this one the most out of all the nail varnishes.

The bottom one is one of the only pastel shades I own and it's a lovely dusty lilac called 'chilled lilac' the one good thing about this colour is that it only needs 2 coats to look really thick and nice but I don't really like pastel colours in general on me so I have to be in the mood for this to want to wear it, which isn't that often!


Here are the blue/green shades, the top one is called 'cool jade' and when I bought it I thought it was going to be more pastel and a bit more minty but it's darker than I thought so I was a bit disappointed. It is pretty though but like the lilac I have to be in the mood for it. One bonus of this is that it only takes about 2 coats.

I LOVE the next one, it makes me feel like I'm in the sea it's a beautiful shimmery/glittery/sparkly greeny/blue called 'graffiti'. I don't care if I'm wearing all black or something really bright I will wear this nail varnish, it's gorgeous! It takes about 3 coats.

The bottom one is a sheer dark blue/purple colour with silver and glitter running through it in the prettiest way, it is stunning in the bottle but sometimes doesn't go on as nice as you'd hoped, it takes about 3 or 4 coats to get it right but when it's dried after that many it does look so so pretty.



Finally I have two very controversial ones. The top colour is pretty amazing as you can tell, is it purple is it blue? You will never know because it's both, I love wearing this and just moving my hand under the light to see the different irredesences shimmering. This colour is called 'Fantasy Fire', when I bought this colour it was the last one there and the cashier said it had sold out time and time again so I thought wow I have to try this to see what all the hype is about. I was severely let down. This nail in the picture still isn't finished but I think that's either 5 or 6 coats, it's pretty ridiculous how thin the nail varnish is, is there a way to thicken them? I think this colour is stunning but usually opt for other colours because I find the consistency so hard to work with.

The picture underneath is of my newest nail varnish, Navy is my ultimate favourite colour to wear on my nails, I've been using a Barry M one for a long time which I adore but it's started to go clumpy and it's running out so I thought I'd get a new one, I'm wearing it now and the colour is beautiful, it's dark but has a slight hint of electric blue in it underneath the light. I wish the consistency was better because it did take 4 coats to get it looking good!

I love the colours Max Factor have created and I haven't seen a range this good in a long time but the quality and consistency of their varnishes is really bad, I wish it was better because besides from that I can't fault it, they don't chip until the 3rd or 4th day and the colours stay shimmering the whole time you wear them. I will continue to buy them because I like to sit down and take my time doing my nails so it's not really that much of a problem for me, if like me you don't really mind applying lots of coats then I really reccomend this brand, however if you're looking for a quick fix then this really isn't for you.

Max Factor Mini's are £3.99 and can be found at Boots where there is often deals for Buy 2 get 1 free.

*since writing this post I have bought another one called 'Deep Mauve', I think it's the rainy weather forcing me to buy winter colours but I don't care it's so pretty! The fact that I've bought two in a week shows how addicted I am!*

No comments:

Post a Comment