Tuesday 5 June 2012

Summer Make Up!

Summers approaching and as I am soon to jet off to tenerife with the girls I decided it was time I bought some make up for the trip! I have most of what I'll need already but there was a couple of necessities (and luxuries!) that were on the list of things to purchase. I'm trying to be good with money at the moment so I didn't even attempt to find some bargains in the department stores and went straight to the drug stores, it turned out to be a very good decision!

The first thing I got was the Maybelline Dream Fresh BB cream. I originally wanted the Clinique tinted moisturiser (who wouldn't!) but it's £21 compared to the £8 I paid for the BB cream. I'd heard good reviews of BB creams in the past and when drug store brands, such as maybelline, brought out their own I was curious to try, I read reviews and tried the tester and today I finally went and bought it. The one thing that baffled me was the range of skin colours, or the lack there of! There were 3... 3! Light, Dark and 'universal glow', If you are olive skinned or very dark there is no way you will be able to use this. The light colour is the same as my skin tone (I'm hoping it blends in once I have a tan) which is pale, the medium is quite dark but I don't know who it would suit, it was a weird muddy colour, and the universal glow... well lets just say I don't think 'wotsit' is a universal skin colour! Another thing I was a bit disappointed with was the amount of product in the tube, there was about a finger and thumbs width of air in the tube so that was quite annoying but I only really need it for the week I'm away so I don't mind too much. I do love the consistency and the coverage is lovely, it's soft and even. I definitely reccomend if you're willing to spend £8 on almost-30ml of BB cream!

The next thing I bought is at the top of every holiday-goer's shopping list, waterproof mascara! Maybelline had a 3-for-2 offer on so I thought as I am only going to use this mascara for one week and then for various wet activities over the summer I didn't need one THAT amazing, just one that didn't make me look tired! I'd tried the Maybelline Define a lash before and I love the brush so it was a safe bet, they did have a new one out which had a waterproof version but the packaging was stupid as it had no picture of the brush and no detailing of it either so I didn't know what it was like and I am a giant brush snob, I'm very picky when it comes to what ones I use! Usually I go for L'Oreal or Max Factor, L'Oreal telescopic is my all time favourite mascara and I will use that time and time again until I find one better! I got the waterproof version in VERY BLACK and it was £8.19. I will review once I'm back from holiday as I'm not going to open it until I go away to keep it fresh!


As Maybelline had their 3-for-2 offer I then had the HUGE dilemma of choosing what free thing to get. I knew I wanted a lip product but deciding between a lipstick, a lip gloss, a lip tint and their new 'Pop Sticks' was tricky. After contemplating I quickly ruled out lip gloss as I don't really wear it and I wanted to get something as expensive as the mascara and BB cream so it was a good offer, there's no point spending £16 and getting a product free that's only £2, I wanted to go for a product along the £7-9 mark! I contemplated a lip stain but they're a bit fussy and lip sticks really are my true love when it comes to lip products. At first I was annoyed because I'd wanted to try their 'pop sticks' for a long time but couldn't find them, I then luckily spotted them hiding next to the lip sticks, I swatched the various colours on my hand and realised that basically they are crap! I don't see the point in them, yes they look amazing in the tube but they're not as pigmented as a lipgloss and don't have the same rich creamy texture like lip sticks, they hardly worked on my pale hand so I can't imagine how little of an impact they'd have on pink lips. Lip stick it was! I have a beautiful red and berry-purple colour already so it was narrowed down to a pink, they all looked desirable but you know when you find something and just know it's the one, that's how I felt with this lipstick. It's going to be gorgeous in the summer, day or night. I'ts called 'Coral Tonic', it's an orangey pink and has got a really creamy feel to it and goes on like a dream, all I can say is I can't wait to go back and get it in more colours! Highly reccomended! It was originally £7.19 (worth it) but lucky for me it was £0.00.

I probably should've stopped there with the make up but there was one thing left on my list and as I was out shopping I couldn't resist getting it. Teal is my favourite colour at the moment for clothes and make up and I'd wanted a nail varnish in that colour for aaaages so decided it would be one of my holiday purchases. Max Factor Mini's are my ultimate favourites at the moment and luckily they had one! I won't go into too much detail as I plan to do another seperate post on these nail varnishes but here's a picture just to show you the gorgeous colour. The Max Factor Mini's are £4 each and this one is in the colour 'Cool Jade'.




That was it, I went to the checkout, got my Boots loyalty points and I was off, if only it was that simple! Boots tempted me with a £5 gift voucher for their own brand No.7, in a way it was a good thing cos you know, free stuff! But that meant I had to go back in and once I'm in a make up shop it's very hard to tear me away. I also noticed on my receipt that I had over £5 of loyalty points! We went back. I decided to spend my loyalty points on another Max Factor nail varnish as I love them so much and I want more pastel colours. I must've stood there for at least 5 minutes choosing out of 'Mellow Yellow' (loved the name!) and 'Chilled Lilac', it finally came down to it that I had to do 'Ip-dip-doo' and I landed on the lilac so that was the one I got! It's very pretty and I love it, especially because it was free!

I then had the dilemma of choosing the No.7 colour, I'd never tried their nail varnishes before but I'm so glad I have now! I unintentionally went for a colour that is practically the same as the lipstick I bought. I can't wait to wear them together! It's called 'Tangy' and is a beautiful coral colour. It was originally £7 so I only had to pay £2 but I'd say they were definitely worth the full price, I like to call them 'one coat wonders' and that's what this is. One coat and it's goooorgeous! Another that will be perfect for holiday and summery days!




The total of these 6 products came to around £39 and I got £17 of that FREE, so I only paid £22 for all this beautiful and most importantly good quality make up! I am very very happy with my purchases and can't wait for the sun shine so I can enjoy wearing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment