Wednesday 27 June 2012

DIY: Tie Dye!



Summer antics have begun! My friends and myself got together today to tie dye our holiday tshirts! For years we've seen people older than us go on holiday together and every year they have their tshirts with their nicknames on, we were not going to miss out! One of us (can't remember who!) thought we should really push the boat out and try tie dying. I won't lie we did get a bit excitable at the thought! After realising that none of us actually knew how to tie dye we settled for the easy option and bought a kit from amazon...
http://tinyurl.com/7jxekp9

The kit was really good and there was so much dye! We did all 6 of our tshirts then a couple extra and there's still loads left! This isn't really a step by step but more of a document of our day and what we got up to. If you'd like to know anymore detail just ask in the comments! :)


This is a little snapshot of what I did! I chose to create a heart and then make the colours go out (in rainbow order obviously) towards the edge of the tshirt! It was surprisingly easy, a lot easier than I thought it was going to be anyway, obviously it could've been a lot better and a lot more precise but for a first attempt I was very happy with it! The dyes that we got with the kit were very good, they came in a  powder form and all you do is fill the ready-to-go bottles with water, shake, then just squirt over the top! It was a lot of fun but a bit messy as you can imagine!


We did a few different designs, I chose to do a heart, one friend chose to do a peace sign which was very adventurous and worked really well! 3 chose to do the classic spiral design and they all turned out very different but all looked soooo good! I found a guy on youtube called 'colorfulsteve' who has some pretty cool tutorials so we used those as a guidance and they were really good, so if you're thinking of tie-dying then give him a watch first!

colourful steve - http://tinyurl.com/ce97vf6



It seemed though the fun part was over within an hour then it's the long 5-8 hour wait for the ink so sink in! We were apprehensive to take off the rubber bands and rinse out the tshirts as we didn't want the ink to run but it was just FAR.TOO.EXCITING! So we all did it (coincidentally) at the same time and got some AMAZING results! We were all really happy and we don't all match but you'll be able to tell who's with who, lets just hope our plane friends have packed their sunglasses in their hand luggage as we're gonna be bright!!

here's a sneak peak!


This was my one:


Overall I was very pleased with the kit, I thought it was very good value for money (£20) considering the amount of stuff you got in it. I was so happy with the way the day went, it was a really fun activity to do with my friends and I later went home and did it with my 4 year old sister who also loved it! She was in awe with the bright colours and was surprisingly sensible when doing it! I was particularly happy with the results, I think they look great and will be a nice addition to our girls holiday! 




1 comment:

  1. These look amazing! Great DIY!

    Stop by and check out my blog giveaway! :)
    http://dawndugong.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete